When it comes to food I think soups are my absolute favorite. Well…soups that are clean, healthy, gluten-free, dairy free, and free from crappy ingredients…those types of soups are my favorite!!!
A good soup feeds the soul and nourishes the body without weighing you down. The simplicity of making soup is extremely grounding and rewarding for me knowing I’m using whole ingredients as well as cleaning out my refrigerator before any vegetables go bad. Making soup is more or less a feeling of connection to healthy whole foods grown in their truest form that soothes and awakens the soul.
I know a bit philosophical there, but at any rate, today I’m sharing my version of Potato, Cabbage and Leek soup. Like with so many recipes this recipe can be altered with ingredients. When my mom made her ‘Potato Leek Soup’ she didn’t use cabbage but her recipe called for nutmeg of all things. So this just goes to show how versatile and even taste specific you can make a soup to fit your dietary restrictions or desires.
In a large pot I added a small amount of vegetable broth and sautéd the diced onions and chopped garlic over medium heat. If you choose to use olive oil that is fine too.
I then added diced onions, garlic, and a bit of salt and pepper and cooked for 2-3 minutes, until the onions were translucent. Next, I added diced celery and carrots and cooked for another 3 minutes.
I then added shredded cabbage, chopped leeks and cubed potatoes; allowing them to sauté in the pot.
Finally I added 3-4 cups of vegetable broth and 1/4 teaspoon cumin. I forgot to add my bay leaf in this step, but the soup turned out pretty tasty without it.
I continued to simmer the soup for another 25 minutes allowing all these delicious flavors to blend together.
And that was it!!!
You now have a tasty and easy soup that pairs well with my Rosemary Focaccia Bread.
Your lunch and/or dinner is served!
- 1 small- medium head of cabbage
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 7-8 small to medium sized yellow potatoes
- 2-3 stalks of celery
- 2 regular sized carrots
- 1 large leek or a 1/2 cup of leeks chopped (I used 2 large sized leeks)
- In a large pot add either a drizzle of olive oil or a splash of vegetable broth turn on medium heat and add diced onions and chopped garlic. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add diced celery and carrots and cook
- Add shredded cabbage, chopped leeks, and cubed potatoes (either peeled or unpeeled)
- Add 3-4 cups of broth (Either vegetable or chicken)
- Add Cumin and Bay leaf, salt and pepper
- Simmer for 25 minutes and allow it to cool for 10-15 before serving