Spring may be here but the cold temperatures are still lingering, so to help warm-up your evenings I am sharing my version of Winter Minestrone soup!
[mineˈstroːne]) is an Italian soup and is usually made out of whatever vegetables are in season or whatever vegetables you have available: carrots, celery, tomatoes, zucchini, beans and stock. Some recipes make the soup a thicker consistency and other recipes include additional meats and other greens. My version is a conglomeration of my favorite vegetables and ingredients that I think add a 1, 2 punch of flavor. I also had pancetta but if I don’t have pancetta regular old bacon works just as well. My minestrone is also more soupy than say chili in texture and consistency.
If you are just learning how to cook or are teaching little ones the art of cooking, I think making soup is on the easiest meals to make in the kitchen together because you really can not mess it up.
There is nothing like a great tasting soup, a roaring fire going in the fireplace (even if it a gas log), and loved ones gathered around enjoying a delicious meal together.
- 1 medium onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 5 regular sized carrots
- 4-5 stalks of celery
- 1-2 zucchini
- ¼ c to ½ c bacon or pancetta chopped (also when using bacon I bet pre-cooked)
- 1 28 oz. can of diced tomato
- ½ c diced mushrooms
- 2 cans of Garbanzo beans or your choice of white beans
- Parmeseano Reggianno Cheese and Rind
- 2-4 containers of broth; 2 beef and 2 vegetable. This amount is optional and will yield more soup. The mix of beef and vegetable broth pairs well with the soup.
- On the stove add 2-3 Tbsp. of Olive Oil to a pot and add chopped onion and garlic. Cook until translucent.
- Add chopped celery, carrots, and chopped pre-cooked bacon to the pot with the onions and garlic. Also had the Parmeseano Cheese Rind here and allow the rind to start mixing with the flavors of the vegetables. Cook vegetables and pre-cooked bacon until slightly cooked.
**If using raw bacon cook in separate pan on the stove until thoroughly cooked. Place cooked bacon on lined plate with a paper towel to absorb any grease. Chop cooked bacon and add to the pot at this step.
- Slowly add one container of Beef Broth and Vegetable Broth
- Add sliced Zucchini and sliced mushrooms
- Add can of Diced Tomatoes and 2 cans of Garbanzo beans
- Add the additional containers of broth ( 1 beef and 1 vegetable)Let soup simmer on low for about an hour. Stir occasionally